Sunday, January 27, 2013

Is this cape made of steel?

I'm starting to run.
As my feet hit the pavement this morning, I was as nimble as a jackhammer. Breathing through the pain, I realized...somethings are just worth it. My body screamed for me to stop, so I slowed down. I had been going for sooo long...O.k., it was 55 seconds...but it felt like a month..at least.
 I had put on my cape this morning. Hence the question,"Is this thing made of steel?" I'm training slowly and carefully, learning how to read my body. More water when needed, protein after runs, etc.. This way of life is not an option for me, it's an equipping.
  I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year. It made sense. All the fatigue and aching. No 32 year old is supposed to feel 80, but I did. I know what pain is. I know what it's like to not be able to get out of bed. I watched my boys play from a distance, and my husband, who worked so very hard, pick up the slack. Dishes have gone undone, clothes unwashed, homework slips unsigned. Despite being close to the Lord and believing He had a plan for me, I think I believed my body was done. You know, all of us at one point or another are brought to a total realization of the frailty of human nature, and doubt our Hero abilities.
I was here.
I was tucked away in my underground cave. All my ninja equipment was put away in their hidden bedroom compartments. My costume was in a glass case that badly needed Windex, and I was casually sipping my coffee from my favorite cup. I had surpassed couch potato status and gone straight to limp noodle.
 Then it happened. I met Bear Grylls. Well it was through the t.v., but I know he was talking to me. As I watched this series "Man vs Wild" something happened. At first, it was pure fascination. Not many people on this earth can show the true prowess of drinking ones pee or eating a spider. I was thoroughly in awe. I understand it was a pure demonstration of survival, but to this paranoid, seafood refusing, "Honey, this chicken's not cooked enough", consumer of food, it was unknown Super abilities. He climbed trees and rocks, like he was confirming his name, and braved iced cold temperatures with not even a wash cloth to cover his naked tush. Who was this Hero?
 So, as with most of my curiosities in life, I took off on a cyber rabbit trail. I may not have the technology of Iron Man, but I can navigate a computer with the resourcefulness of an underpaid paralegal.  What I found blew me away. This man who seemed so invincible had at one time broke his back in a parachuting accident, and has lived with severe pain.
 It was like glass shattering.
So I...began to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment