Saturday, January 26, 2013

Super Hero Extrordinaire...well kind of.

Point blank...I had to make this blog. I'm calling all Heroes....

Being a 32 year old female who has undergone the rigmarole of kinda dieting, dieting after babies, dieting before an event, and finally Gastric Bypass Surgery, I have been to dieting hell and back. I'm not a trained nutritionist. Though I could probably run with the best of them (not literally). I'm certainly no Jillian Michael's, though I have watched as my husband attempted to do P90x. I'm...well...I'm Liberty Loss.
 I can leap to the couch in a single bound, seek out chocolate with my x ray vision, and pull on...well, o.k, o.k... squeeze into my latex costume to zoom off for all my adventures. Here's the problem: all my abilities, yeah, they've turned against me. Like Venom on Spider man, I also have a sort of self villian. It's name is OBESITY!
  I have been fighting this villain since I was 12. While all my friends were gaining breasts, I was gaining weight. The moment I hit puberty, bam...like a train, Obesity hit me. I went from 140 to 210 seemingly overnight. This monster was present every time I couldn't button my jeans, every time I looked in the mirror. Obesity was there, pummeling my self esteem, destroying my body. In 2004 when I had finally reached combustion level at 380lbs, I had Gastric Bypass Surgery. Phew...I was out of the clear. I had killed Obesity, or so I thought. Over the next two years I lost 200 lbs. Victory was mine! I was the thinnest I had been since I was a toddler. After giving birth to my second son, I fell in love with chocolate. Never being a sweets eater before, this was a particularly new and dangerous weakness for me. My ingrained behavior against sugar fell to the wayside as I gave in to the succulent deliciousness of all kinds of sweets.
 That's when it came in.
Obesity was there. Lurking in the shadows of every bite, every day of inactivity. I could feel it in the shower breathing down my neck, well, more like my thighs, but you get the point. I began to slowly gain weight again. I thought Gastric Bypass had made me immune to this monster, but I was wrong and after having my third son, I ballooned backed up to 250lbs. Obesity had won again. I was miserable....obviously. My clothes no longer fit, I could hardly walk, much less run, and I knew I had to do something about this evil villain, I had to make some severe changes. In January 2011, my sister, being a real hero, joined the Navy. Knowing boot camp was about to kick her butt, she hired a personal trainer, and learned key things that made her body ready. As she learned how to "eat clean" and push herself, so did I. By the Grace of God, I cut out all sugar, began exercising again, and actually cooked. I was ready to don my hero cape again. Over the course of 2011, I learned some really great meals (thank you Hungry Girl), and I ninja kicked off  70lbs. I felt amazing, but in November of that year, at a local fair, while wearing my hero cape, I heard the sweet call of an elephant ear. You know the siren call. It bids you, "just one time, one time won't hurt", and the next thing you know your rolling on the ground making out with fried bread. I had again opened the door to my weakness, and who was ready to pounce? Yup, my old foe Obesity. Since last year, I have gained back 21 of those insipid pounds, but this year is the year. This is the year I defeat Obesity!
 Once and for all, I'm taking this beast to the ground, and I'm calling all like minded Heroes. I'm crawling out of my cave, putting on my cape, and actually cooking. Come fly with me, because the day has come for us to win! Death to Obesity!

No comments:

Post a Comment